Arkle favourite Sir Gino ruled out for the season by Nicky Henderson

 In Uncategorized

Ante-post Arkle favourite Sir Gino has been ruled out for the season in “a dreadful blow to Joe and Marie Donnelly and everybody at Seven Barrows” said his trainer Nicky Henderson.

The unbeaten five-year-old, who was 8-11 overnight for the Cheltenham Festival Grade 1 but drifted on the exchanges on Monday morning, missed the Game Spirit Chase at Newbury on Saturday after he sustained a wound to his near hind leg during a routine piece of work last Thursday.

Henderson had hoped Sir Gino would only miss a few days and possibly run at Kempton on Saturday week instead in preparation for the Arkle, but his condition has since deteriorated and he has been admitted to equine hospital.

In Sir Gino’s absence, the Willie Mullins-trained Majborough heads the Arkle betting at a general 8-13, with L’Eau Du Sud cut to 5-1 second favourite.

In a statement on X, Henderson said: “Unfortunately Sir Gino’s situation has deteriorated somewhat and he has been admitted to the equine hospital. As a result of initial examinations at Donnington Grove an infection has invaded the ligaments in his near hind leg. This will require lengthy treatment that will sadly rule him out of any further racing this season.

“This is a dreadful blow to Joe and Marie Donnelly and everybody at Seven Barrows but we will be doing everything possible to help this incredible bright light back to full fitness next season.”

Sir Gino began his season by winning the Fighting Fifth Hurdle at Newcastle, but with stablemate Constitution Hill returning from his own setbacks, Sir Gino was sent novice chasing and cemented his star status by thrashing Ballyburn at Kempton over Christmas.

However, the Grade 1-winning juvenile will now miss the Cheltenham Festival for the second consecutive year. He had been favourite for the Triumph Hurdle 12 months ago but was withdrawn the day before the race due to concerns over the health of the entire Seven Barrows string.

Henderson subsequently scored a blank at jump racing’s biggest meeting for the first time since 2008 with Constitution Hill, Jonbon and Shishkin also among those to miss their intended targets.

“The premature end to Sir Gino’s season will come as a huge disappointment to not just his connections, but also to racing fans, as he would undoubtedly have been one of the headline acts at next month’s Cheltenham Festival,” said Coral’s David Stevens.

“In his absence, Majborough is now the odds-on favourite for the Arkle, with L’Eau Du Sud cut to 5-1 (from 9-1) second favourite, and Mistergif another big mover, into 8-1 (from 20-1).”